Saturday, August 28, 2010

Runaway Royalty, Ch. 3 & 4

CHAPTER THREE: CONFESSIONS OF A TEEN QUEEN
“I'm only me when I'm with you,” -I'm Only Me When I'm With You, Taylor Swift

When I snuck back into the palace, I went up to my room to change my clothes before anyone saw me. But lucky me, Lena was in my room jumping on my bed. It is a mutual agreement that I have the bounciest bed in the entire palace.
“Helena Margret Josephine Saraphine get out of my bedroom!” I screamed at her.
“Why?” she mocked. She was eating a Butterscotch Crumpet that I had hidden so I could eat them.
“First off get out of my stuff! And second, get out!” I snatched the Crumpet out of her hands and threw it out and then I grabbed her around her waist, threw her over my shoulder and carried her to her suite that she shared with Gia. I flopped her onto her pink ballerina bed and screamed “STAY OUT OF MY STUFF!”
I stormed out and quick walked to my suite. I got out of my date clothes and put on my pale yellow skirt and jacket suit with black heels. I re-brushed my hair and sprayed on some hairspray. I took out the hoops and put on my big diamond earrings. I applied some lipstick and wallah, I was ready for family tea-time. I arrived at the dining room at the right time, thank goodness, and I sat down next to Gia.
Gia was wearing a pink sun dress with white sandals and a pink bow in her hair. Lena – who I was still incredibly unhappy with - was wearing an identical outfit but in mint green.
“Hello my family. Thank you for joining me today for our daily tea time. Today we are being continental. We are having Chinese imported hot tea, German chocolate cake, and small candies from Switzerland. Enjoy my family!” my father announced as he does everyday. Yesterday we had chamomile tea and birthday cake.
“So Casandra, where were you today?” my mother asked me while we were eating.
“Excuse me?” I nearly choked on my Swiss candy.
“I asked you where you were all day. You missed your Latin lesson.” Shoot. I forgot about my Latin tutor.
“Oh I fell back asleep after my breakfast. I just wanted to watch TV all day. I sketched a bit too.”
“Well then why did Gia and Lena tell me that you weren't in your room around lunch time?”
“I wanted to draw out in the courtyard okay? My goodness!” I got up from the table and left to go to my room.
I could feel my father's glare on the back of my head. When I got to my room, I wrote a sign for my door. It read: Do Not Disturb. I Am Unpleased. I locked the door and I then sat upon my window sill and opened the window to water the roses and daisies in my window box.
I felt the knock before I heard it. “Casandra Michelle Lillian Georgina you open this door immediately!” my father yelled.
I got up from my window sill and put the watering can down. I walked over to the door very nonchalantly. I unlocked the door and opened it just a crack. “Hello Father.”
“Hello Casandra. Would you like to explain to me what just happened back there?”
“No thank you,” I said and I tried to close the door but his foot got in the way.
“You weren't sketching the the courtyard today because I was out there walking today and I didn't happen to see you anywhere.”
I stuttered out a few noises before he asked me “where were you today, Casandra?”
“I got an invitation for a date. And I went,” I admitted reluctantly.
“With whom?” he asked suspiciously.
“With Logan Gold. You know, the guy I danced with at my ball,” I pointed out.
“He is not an appropriate choice for you, Casandra and you know it! He is not royalty!”
“But he's from a good family and his father is related to the English royal family!”
“I don't care. You are not to see him anymore. And that is final.” And with that he twirled around on his heel and walked down the hall.
“But FATHER! I really like him!” I yelled after him and when he didn't reply, I angrily slammed the door and found a suitcase. I gathered up all of my casual clothes and folded them neatly. I put them in the suede suitcase along with three pairs of pajamas, socks, and all of my underwear aside from two or three pairs.
The only things I left out of the suitcase was a pair of pink sweatpants and a gray tank top, my fancy princess-y clothes, and a pair of jeans, a black tee shirt with the word “DRAW” written in silver across the chest, and a pair of white sandals. Just enough to not make it obvious that I was planning on leaving.
I messaged Logan and asked him when I could see him again. His reply was “hey, I wanna see u again too, how bout tomorrow around three? Meet me at the carnival k? I'll win u a stuffed animal ;) :*”
I smiled but deleted the text. I couldn't risk my father seeing it. I set out an outfit for Sunday breakfast with my family and I laid out the black shirt outfit for the carnival tomorrow.
I sat on my window seat and watched the sun set. I didn't attend dinner, but Gary brought me up some leftovers. I ate a little bit of it but not much. I then quietly crept down to the servants quarters and got the Cookies 'n' Cream ice cream and a big spoon. I brought it back up to my suite silently and changed into the sweatpants and tank top.
I opened the glass doors that led to my balcony. Out on the balcony I have a bunch of flower pots with roses and daisies and buttercups and chrysanthemums and tulips. I may like sketching but I've always been wanted to be a horticulturist. A horticulturist is someone who is an expert in cultivating flowers.
Also on the balcony, I have lawn chairs and a white table where I like to sit and draw sometimes.
I took my ice cream and my diary out to the white table and saw a paper airplane sitting on the table. I set down the ice cream carefully so it wouldn't leak out of the container. I unfolded the airplane and on it was a note. It read: “For Casandra; I need to talk to you. Meet me in the front courtyard at three AM this morning. Thank you. -LG.”
I smiled and looked at the clock that hangs on the wall and saw that it was 11:24 PM. So I still had almost three and a half hours to go. I ate the entire container of ice cream while I wrote a short story in my diary about my date and how well this small, secret relationship was going.
When I finished the ice cream, it was 1:13 AM. I went back inside and got a sweater. I also got my iPad and went back out on the balcony. I sat on the lawn chair and leaned back with my iPad in front of me. I clicked on my Word Warp application and played the word game. When I looked up again it was 2:53 AM. I got up and put on my sandals. I tiptoed down to the front courtyard with a flashlight.
When I got down there, I went around the courtyard, searching. “Logan!” I whispered.
I was starting to get scared because I heard breathing but I couldn't find him. When I got to the middle of the courtyard, I nearly gave up. I put my flashlight on the bench with the light facing up. I threw my arms up and sighed.
What I didn't realize was that he was right behind me. I figured this out when he poked me in the sides and I whipped around and nearly screamed he scared me so bad. Luckily, I just gasped. I hit him in the shoulder and whispered “don't do that to me! You scared me!”
He laughed quietly and pulled me into a hug. “I missed you,” he said quietly. I hugged him back and closed my eyes while inhaling his scent. He pulled away first.
“I saw you just a few hours ago!” I smiled.
“By the way, nice outfit,” he laughed.
“Well, I'm sorry I didn't get all fancied up to come out to the courtyard in the middle of the night,” I said kind of sharply. But it was late and he knew I was tired so he forgave me with his eyes.
“I had to talk to you again.”
“Okay, shoot.”
“First, are you okay? You keep blinking...”
“Yeah I'm just trying to get used to the dark.”
“Alright. Second, since my intermediate family is in England, would you like to come with me to meet my uncle?”
“You want me to meet your uncle? Like for real?” I gaped at him.
“Yes. Is that alright? Or is that something that happens after a few more dates?”
“No I mean it's fine. I really like you. And I hope your great-uncle Peter likes me too.”
“Bravo, you remembered his name.” We smiled into the dark at each other.
“Well I try. What do I call him?”
“Just call him Mr. Gold.”
“Great,” I smiled.
“Alright. So tomorrow is the carnival and I will meet you there. And then on Thursday I will take you to meet my uncle.” He kissed me on the cheek and walked away. I followed him and poked him in the back. He turned around.
“That's all I get? Just an 'I'll see you on Thursday?'” I said in my impression of his British accent.
He smiled and leaned down to kiss me. I stood on my toes and kissed him back. When I pulled away, he followed me and didn't let go of my lips. I then flattened my feet so he had to let go. I heard him laugh and then sigh. He held my hand in the darkness. I closed my eyes and when I opened them again, he was walking into the distance.
I went back up to my suite and climbed into bed with the balcony doors wide open to let in a breeze. I wasn't technically supposed to do this because of 'robbers' but I didn't care. I liked the cool breeze. I picked up the small black remote on my bedside table and pressed the TV button which opened the entertainment center across from my bed. The black flat screen came out and I turned it on. I went to Oxygen and fell asleep to Roseanne reruns.


CHAPTER FOUR: THE CARNVIAL
“Two heads are better than one.”

I woke up the next morning to Simone pounding on my door. I guess I had slept in. I called for her to come in. Simone is a small French woman around the age of 25 or 26. She has long black hair that she braids down her back every day. “Miss Casandra! You are almost late for Sunday breakfast!” My eyes widened and I leaped out of bed. She left and closed my door.
I rushed to my closet to find my outfit for breakfast. It was a lilac dress with a darker purple tweed jacket and heliotrope heels. I brushed my hair quickly to enhance curliness and pulled it into a low ponytail and finished it off with a violet bow in my ponytail and my pearl necklace.
I quickly brushed my teeth and sprayed perfume on myself before I left my suite to run down the hall to the dining hall where we eat breakfast. Today we were being served Belgian waffles, fried eggs (soft or hard), Jewish rye toast, bacon, and cinnamon danishes. My father and I still did not speak to one another but Mother and I had a lively conversation about the possible whereabouts of the new fountains that were being put in by the gardeners.
After breakfast, I went upstairs to my suite without a single word to or from my father. When I got up to my suite, I closed and locked the door. I turned on my television and found “Journey to the Center of the Earth” on channel 34. I turned the volume up and went into my bathroom. I drew a bubble bath in the jacuzzi tub. I turned on the jets.
I brushed my hair and put it up in a messy bun. I undressed and got into the tub. When I was in and situated with my magazines, iPad, and remote to control everything, I used the remote to turn the TV to face the bathroom. I turned on the surround sound and sat in the warm, bubbly water until the movie was over. I laughed and cried, the movie was amazing. I had seen it before, but it keeps getting better every time I see it.
When the movie was over, I took my hair down from the bun and washed it vigorously. By the time all of the bubbles were gone in the tub, I had read half of my magazine, “The Parent Trap” had come on channel 34, and I was clean. I got out of the tub and drained it. I put on my robe and put my hair up in a towel.
I grabbed the remote and my iPad. I walked into the bedroom portion of my suite. I gingerly placed my iPad on the bed and turned the TV off with the remote. I hit the 'music' button on the remote and from my surround sound speakers leaked Santona music. There are quite a few recording artists from my country... okay so just two. But they're still great. Lily and the Valleys is a girl power band that sings about first crushes, growing up, and just being yourself. The only other one that I know of is Hallie Baby. Hallie Baby is one of those sappy singers who uses their own misery to create music. Can you tell I like Lily better? Lily and the Valleys is actually my favorite band.
I was rocking out to their song “Taste of Freedom” when I heard the knock. The deafening knock that scared me so bad I screamed. I threw my robe over top of my clothes. Whoever was at the door didn't need to see my casual attire or else they'd think something was up! Especially if it was my father.
I jogged over to the door and unlocked it. I opened to door and to my somewhat delight, I found Gia and Lena. They were looked solemn. I allowed them to enter my dwelling. Gia said that Lena needed something. Lena is quiet so I got on one knee so I was her height. “What's up Lena?” I asked sincerely.
“I need to borrow something.” Lena shooed Gia away. She left.
“What do you need to borrow?” I asked.
“I need a pad.”
This caught me by surprise. “I'm sorry?”
“I'm bleeding. I think I got my period.”
“But you're only nine!”
“Almost ten! And my book says that most girls get it between the ages of eight and sixteen. Can I just borrow a pad?”
“Um, sure,” I said, still shocked, as I got up. I went into my underwear drawer and got out a pad. I handed it to her. “Do you need any help?”
“No thanks. Don't tell Mother or Father, okay? I want to tell them.”
“Sure. I won't say anything.”
She turned to leave but then stopped mid track. “Cass?”
“Yeah?”
“How old were you when you got yours?”
“I was twelve.”
“Okay. Thanks for this.” and she left the room. I was worried that she might not notify my mother. If she didn't within the next week, I was going to say something.
I finished getting ready for my carnival date. I sat at my vanity and applied eyeshadow, liner, and mascara. I added foundation and some lipstick. I put clear gloss in the pocket of my jeans. I checked my outfit one more time before I did my hair. My black shirt was fitting, my jeans made my legs look longer, and my shoes showed off my blue nails.
I brushed my hair and since it was only one, I let it air dry. I heard Simone knock and I let her come in. She is my closest companion other than Sir Licks-a-Lot. Yes, I still have him. Though I call him Sir now. He is quite old at this point so he doesn't do much except sit on my balcony.
Simone brought me lunch. It was a cheese quesedilla and tortilla chips with medium spicy salsa. There was also a Coke Zero. I was allowed one cola per day, so I get it at lunch. Breakfast I get either milk, orange juice, or apple juice, lunch I get cola, and dinner I get water or grape juice. Grape juice because my parents get wine. Since I am still underage, I can't drink actual wine. So I get grape juice.
I ate my lunch while my hair dried. When I was done with lunch, Lily and the Valleys was still on. I have all of their songs. I checked to see if my hair was dry yet. It was a bit damp but I didn't have time to dry it. I put it up in a high ponytail and a bright purple ribbon that I tied around the ponytail elastic.
I brushed my teeth and sprayed on some perfume and I was ready. I was very careful not to go through the courtyards. Father walks through them every day at two-thirty. Instead, I walked around. I got a cab and headed for the carnival.
I was excited. This will be sort of like mine and Logan's fourth date. First was the ball, second was lunch at Janine's, third was our three o'clock meeting. Now a carnival! I'd never even been to the park. I'd read about parks but never actually been to one.
I payed the taxi driver, who's name was Reese. I got out and looked around. I didn't see Logan. This time I was smart and looked ALL around me. Including behind me. He wasn't following me. I walked further into the park. I found the carnival. And with it, I found Logan.
I smiled and ran to him. He caught me in his arms and we hugged tightly for a few moments.
“Glad you could make it,” he said, grinning.
“Me too. Now what was that about winning me a stuffed animal?” I said, laughing.
He took my hand and we were off.
We came to the first booth which was Knock Bottle. You took a stone and had three tries to knock down all the bottles. Logan let me go first. I knocked down the one on top. And I missed the other two times. I frowned. He smirked. He took a turn. He knocked down all the bottles in one swing. “The trick is to aim for the middle,” he explained. He won a stuffed giraffe.
He gave it to me. “For you.” I smiled and took it from him. He took my hand and we walked to the next booth.
We played all of the games. Dunk Throw (you throw a ball at a target and make a person fall into a dunk bucket), Water Shooters (you take a water gun and squirt a target until your light reaches the top), and even Rubber Ducks (you take a magnetic fishing pole and try to get one of the six red ducks). We won some, and we lost some.
The only one that I won was the Archery Throw. I've always been good at archery. I've trained since I was seven, after all. I won tickets to get two free shaved ices. I thanked the man and showed Logan. He laughed at my excitement.
We walked over to the shaved ice stand and we got free shaved ices! I got cherry and Logan got grape. We walked through the park with a small wagon. Logan had anticipated many wins, so he brought along a small red wagon to carry our prizes. Good thing too, we had at least ten stuffed animals! There was also a blanket that he brought.
We got to a hilly landscape and he stopped walking. I gave him a questioning glance. He said “help me spread out this blanket.” I did. We spread out the blanket and sat there overlooking the mountains. He put his arm around me as we ate our shaved ice. I felt him looking at me. I turned to look at him. We smiled at each other.
I leaned closer. I put my head on his shoulder. He hugged me tighter. I don't know how long we sat there like that. It could've been minutes, hours, days. I felt so serene, like I had nothing to worry about. Then I saw the royal flag at the other end of the park, waving in the soft breeze.
“Oh my gosh!” I jumped up.
“What? What's wrong?”
“I have to go! Look it's nearly sunset! My family will understand if I miss afternoon tea, which I have, but if I miss dinner I will be in so much trouble!”
“Alright well lets go then!” Logan was so perfect. He understood me. I never had a real boyfriend before. I've had boys try to be with me but only for the crown. Pathetic. But with Logan, it was like I was a normal girl.
We folded up the blanket and put it in the wagon. We got a cab and the taxi driver drove to one block away from the palace. I kissed Logan on the cheek and thanked him for a great day before I got up and ran with my giraffe stuffed animal. We'd agreed that I'd get the others later. Too many would make everyone curious and suspicious.
I arrived at the castle with literally three minutes to spare. I mad dashed upstairs to my suite and stripped from my jeans and tee shirt. I threw on a bubblegum pink sun dress and that was it. I kept on the sandals and kept my makeup and hair the way it was. I ran downstairs and sat at the dining table with the rest of my family.
We were just awaiting my mother when I got to the table. I didn't speak. When my mother got to the table, we began to eat the grilled chicken and brown rice that we were served. None of us spoke. I looked at Lena and realized that she hadn't said anything to Mother yet.
I cleared my throat. Lena looked at me and gave me a look that said “I will tell her later!” I was satisfied by that. I continued eating even though I wasn't that hungry. When dinner was done, we were served dessert. Dessert today was chocolate covered cheesecake with vanilla soy cream. Yum... Not to the ice cream though. Gia is lactose intolerant so she can't have normal ice cream. She has to eat soy cream. It's gross. It tastes like plastic.
I finished what I could of my cheesecake and then asked Mother if I was excused. She said I was, and I left.
I went up to my suite and changed into my sweatpants and tank top. I washed my face and took down my hair. It was curlier than ever because I never officially dried it. I separated it into pigtails and brushed my teeth. I climbed into my soft bed and turned on the TV. I landed on Disney Channel Europe and quickly fell asleep to Hannah Montana and Phineas and Ferb.

No comments:

Post a Comment