Thursday, May 2, 2013

The Best Books Ever. No Questions Asked.

I read a LOT in case you guys haven't noticed. I decided to comprise a list of my top 10 favorites.
Just a disclaimer; this does not include Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, or Twilight because I couldn't possibly put those on this list. They're all just amazing.

10) Taming of the Shrew -- William Shakespeare
Really good show. My school did it my freshmen year (although I didn't get in, if you remember). It's about a woman named Katerina who is a little disobedient. Anyway, her sister Bianca wants to get married but Bianca can't marry until Katerina does. So Katerina marries a man who says he can "tame" her. It's really an interesting development, although it made me really really angry. Fantastic play though.

9) Animal Farm -- George Orwell
This story is abut communism!!! Yay!!! Napoleon and Snowball are pigs that run the farm and create all kinds of rules and regulations. It's really interesting. I've read it twice and got a different meaning out of it each time. I definitely recommend it for book reports and such.

8) The Five People You Meet In Heaven -- Mitch Albom
A really sweet story about a man who dies saving a little girl at an amusement park. This book messes with you psyche, so bring tissues. When the man dies, there are five people waiting for him. The story really shows you how much of an impact you have on other peoples' lives, even if you don't think so.

7) House Rules -- Jodi Picoult
Intense mystery about a boy with Asperger syndrome. I usually don't like mysteries because I always seem to figure it out before the characters do. That's what happened with this book, but still an amazing read. I learned a lot about Asperger syndrome and I fell in love with the characters!

6) To Kill A Mockingbird -- Harper Lee
You've probably read it, but it's still a great great great book. I read it for freshmen honors English and I love it. It's about this little girl named Scout growing up in Alabama. For some reason, I love the way these kinds of books are written. They seem so fascinating to me.

5) Secret Life of Bees -- Sue Monk Kidd
A really beautiful story about a girl named Lily. I also read this for freshmen English and I loved it. I couldn't put it down, especially when I got to the end. If you've seen the movie already, damn you. The book is so much better. I saw the last 45 minutes or so of that movie and, as much as I love the actresses in the movie, I couldn't bring myself to like it too much. The book was just... incredible. Truly inspirational and meaningful.

4) A Tree Grows in Brooklyn -- Betty Smith
A beautifully written story about a little girl named Francie growing up in NYC in the early 1900s. The story opens when she is about 11 in the year 1912. I read this when I was about fourteen and to be honest I didn't get much out of it. There's probably some really huge metaphor that I missed, and I'm thinking about reading it again. Either way, the language was gorgeous and inspired me to write some historical fiction.

Now we're at the top 3, so pay attention, because these are the really good ones!

3) The Kite Runner -- Khaled Hosseini
I can't even form words to describe how much I loved this book. I did a book report on it last year for my honors English class and half of my report was just "I love this book so so much. Read it and I'll love you forever." I can't even really tell you what it's about because every piece of information is a giveaway. But I will say this; Read it and I'll love you forever. It's truly amazing and I cried. Not many books do that to me.

2) The Outsiders -- S. E. Hinton
Until recently, this was number one. I know this book backwards and forwards. Ask me anything about it and I will know the answer. The Outsiders is a story about Ponyboy Curtis, a fourteen year old "greaser" growing up without his parents. I fell deeply in love with every character, from Sodapop to Bob to the truck driver that picks up Pony when (SPOILER ALERT) he's bleeding all over the street. Magnificent, truly.

And 1) The Catcher in the Rye -- J. D. Salinger
There are no words. I love Holden so much. I felt like he was my best friend and I wish he was real because I want to talk to him. God, he pissed me off. And made me laugh. And made me cry. I read the whole book on the airplane back from Texas. Yes, I read the entire book in four hours. That's how much I loved it. I couldn't put it down. It is a must read. You must read it.

<3 p="">

No comments:

Post a Comment