Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Tyler & Grace

I've written a few of these little, title-less, short stories over the last few days. I finally decided to share this one. Enjoy.

Tyler & Grace
I knew he was mad by the way he was avoiding my eyes. He never looked me in the eye when he was upset with me.

He sat across the room staring at his phone. I know he saw me.

The bell rang and he gathered his things and headed out. I quickly followed him. He lead me around the school until we ended up by the booth where we did tech crew jobs.

He walked in with the keys dangling out of his back pocket. I waited a few seconds before, as quietly as I could, opening the door to let myself in.

I'm not sure if he heard me, because he never looked up, but I stepped down the three little stairs just inside the door and walked into my sanctuary.

The booth had the ugliest carpeting in the world. The walls were orange and the floor was muddy brown. The counters all had writing and holes and memories from past techies and friends. There was a sound system, a light board, three monitors, two computers, and at least six stools. There was a tall brown wardrobe full of extra microphones and extension cords, and a smaller wooden shelf complex that held the "community Xbox" and things from the church (which sponsored us).

He was sitting at the light board messing with the pink and blue spotlights on stage left. He looked scruffy, but adorable. He rested his chin in his hand with his elbow propped up on the counter, and his short hair was messy as usual. He wore a black tee shirt and jeans and flip flops; he hated regular shoes and would often go without them.

"You shouldn't be in here," he said, not even bothering to look up.

I set my books on the floor by the shelf and slid my hands in the back pockets of my shorts. "Neither should you," I rebutted.

"It's my aiding period."

"Yeah I know. Still doesn't mean you should be in here."

He raised his eyebrows and nodded, as if to say 'good point.'

We stayed in those positions for a few minutes. I'm sure we had the same exact thing on our minds.

Eventually, he looked me square in the face and glared. "You are a child."

With a huff, I exclaimed "Oh, I'm the child?"

"Yes, Grace, you're being immature and stupid."

"Tyler I'm trying my hardest here."

"The posts? On Facebook? Are you really that desperate?" he said getting up and walking towards me.

"I needed to get your attention," I argued, crossing my arms across my chest.

"A simple phone call would have gotten my attention."

"I couldn't do that."

"Why?" he asked, throwing his hands up in the air.

"I couldn't talk to you until you talked to me first. It's been weeks, Tyler. You're graduating in less than a month. It's killing me." Tears formed in my eyes.

He came over to be and put his face right up to mine, so close that I could feel his breath. "I thought you were going to be more mature than this, Grace."

"Can't you see I'm trying?" I cried.

"No, you know what? I can't. You're acting like a child and it's annoying."

"Why don't you love me, Tyler? Huh? Answer me that!"

"I have a connection with Aubrey. I can't help it."

"You wanted me and you stopped. What happened? What did I do? Just tell me."

"You dated Jonathan."

That was like a slap in the face. "Jonathan? Really? You stopped having feelings for me because I had a boyfriend?"

"You were together for more than half a year. I had to move on."

"I never did."

He stopped short and looked me in the eyes. I broke his gaze and looked at the ground.

"When you told me you liked that girl Rachel...it killed me, Tyler. I have always wanted to be with you. I never stopped. I don't want you to move on. I want you to be happy but only if it's with me."

He suddenly grabbed my face and pulled me into a kiss. When it registered to me what was happening, the adrenaline pumping through my veins went a mile a minute. I'd been waiting for this to happen. Ever since he kissed me the first time all those months ago.

When he finally let go, I was really crying. He pressed his lips to my forehead and pulled me into a tight hug, the kind that make me feel good. I just stood there as he stroked my hair, hugging me back, and I was hoping he'd never let go.

I spoke into his shoulder "I love you Tyler. I really do. I want to be with you forever. My heart hurts."

He just nodded and kissed the top of my head.

"It hurts when you talk about Aubrey. It hurts that you don't love me back. It hurts Tyler. My heart is broken and I have to try really hard not to cry every time I see you. And I hate you for that. I hate how much power you have over the way I feel. You're so manipulative. But I can't get over you," I tried to say without my words shaking. I looked up at him, still in his arms, and said, "I know I never will."

"Grace, we can't."

"Why not?"

"The timing-"

"You keep saying that," I cut him off. "It's not that we have crappy timing. It's that you're scared."

"I am."

"We aren't going to do anything about this, then?"

"Afraid not, love."

I closed my eyes and let go of him. "I'm sorry for complicating things. I hope you and Aubrey are happy together." I knelt down to pick up my books and left him standing there.

And I solemnly went to class.

No comments:

Post a Comment