Thursday, June 20, 2013

Les Mis

On the bandwagon of cuteness, Hunter came over today to hang out and watch Les Miserables because I'd never seen the musical before.

If you don't know the story, here's the gist of it.

There's a man, Jean Valijean (but for our purposes, I'm going to be referring to him as Wolverine because the actor was Hugh Jackman), who stole bread for his starving family and got five years of slavery for his crime. He tried to escape, so he got another 17 years. Basically, he's a slave for a while. Then he escapes and makes a new name for himself and becomes a very respectable man.

There's a woman that works for him, Fantine (Anne Hathaway), who has a daughter that is living with some innkeepers. Fantine is a bit of a troublemaker sometimes and manages to get herself fired from the job that was paying for her daughter to survive. Fantine goes to try and find a new way to make money and ends up selling her hair, her teeth, and her body (i.e, she's a prostitute).

Then Wolverine finds her because she was about to get in a lot of trouble and saves her. He takes her to the hospital and promises to find Cozette (Fantine's daughter) and then SPOILER ALERT Fantine dies.

Cozette is living with some innkeepers (one of which is Helena Bohnam Carter), and their daughter, Eponine, who really don't like her very much. They send her out to the well to get water and Cozette meets Wolverine who basically says "Don't be afraid, and I'm going to adopt you."

So Wolverine takes Cozette away and raises her as his own daughter.

It fast forwards to 10 or so years later when Cozette and Eponine are all grown up. Eponine has a friend, Marius, whom she is in love with. Unfortunately, she's been FRIENDZONED. Marius sees Cozette across a courtyard one day and immediately falls in love with her and begs Eponine to help him find her.

I'll be perfectly honest, I have no freaking clue what goes on after that. It was so confusing and I stopped paying attention because Hunter and I were talking.

All I know is that the ending was the most depressing thing in the universe. I won't spoil it for you if you haven't seen it, but you will cry. Trust me. I wasn't even really paying attention and I was tearing up. I'm sure if I'd allowed myself to get more attatched to the characters, I would have been a mess.

It was a loooooong movie. It was about 2 hours and 40 minutes. It was shorter than I thought, but still insanely long. It was okay though because I had fun :)

I have camp next week. I'm not looking forward to it... I'm going to have to wake up before 7 and spend all day being a counselor to a bunch of four and five year olds. And it'll be hot. Yay...

I get volunteer hours. That's what's important. Then next Saturday and Sunday I have my first two drive times. I'm not looking forward to it. At all. Kill me.

<3 p="">

No comments:

Post a Comment