Thursday, April 11, 2013

Not Sure What The Title Should Be Yet

I started writing a short story today and here's the first three pages or so. Enjoy.


Camille, wearing pearls and white, stared into the eyes of her soon-to-be mate and read her vows off of the piece of pink stationary. “Oliver. My one true love. I promise to keep every fortune cookie wrapper, every pinky swear, and every kiss very close to me. I cannot imagine my life without you. You've been a part of me for as long as I can remember. And although we fight, I love you to the moon and stars and back. Now put that ring on my finger, finally, after 26 years of being the best of friends.”

The officiant took their hands and announced that Oliver, the lanky school teacher with whom my sister fell in love, could kiss the bride. “Mr. and Mrs. Oliver and Camille Ryan, everybody!” Mr. Ryan, Oliver's uncle, exclaimed.

Oliver carefully slipped his thin arm around my sister's slight waist as they made their way back up the aisle. I clapped with the rest of the 70 people in the garden, but I was kicking myself on the inside. Of course I was happy to see my baby sister married to the man I knew would make her happy, but I was a little disappointed that I, her 32 year old brother, wasn't married first.

I quickly made my way to the reception hall inside and prepared myself for the countless cocktails I would be consuming over the next few hours.

“Callum! My, how grown up you look!” Great Aunt Amelia screamed from across the room.

“Hello, Aunt Amelia,” I said quieter and hugged her tight. She is batty and likes her tequila, but I love her. We don't see her too often because she lives all the way over in Malibu.

“How've you been, honey?” she asked while eying me up and down through her fifties style rims. “How's that restaurant doing? You out of business yet?” she laughed too loud.

“It's doing great, actually. We've expanded to the greater Eastern Shore metropolitan area, in fact.” This was a lie. My little restaurant, “CG's Comfort Food,” had three locations in my town and in the city nearby. Aunt Amelia didn't need to know that, though. She just wants a challenge. May as well exaggerate. And it's not like I'm broke, I'm doing well considering my small business practice.

“CALLUM GRANT!” my buddy Vince yelled when he slapped me on the back. “How're things, dude?”

“Vince!” I grinned for the first time that night. “How long has it been, man?”

“Years. Since USC graduation, I think.”

“Wow... dude, we gotta catch up. Lemme get another drink first,” I knew Vince well enough to know that he'd already downed at least two beers at the bar. It wasn't too hard to get him wasted, so I went with him to keep an eye on him.

I got myself a beer and ordered a non-alcoholic beer for Vince when he wasn't looking. We turned with our backs to the bartender and drank a toast to my little sister. The bride and groom hadn't shown up yet, which I'm sure my mother was incredibly pleased about.

I began surveying the area. My sister and her new husband wanted a small wedding, just the family and a few friends, which was why Vince had attended. Most every girl there was a cousin of some kind. Except one.

I saw her across the room sitting at a table by the stage where the band was setting up. She had long dark brown, almost black, hair and either blue or blue-green eyes (I couldn't tell from all the way across the room). She was wearing a black dress that reached just above her knees with see-through cut outs on the sides. She had little black sandals on and carried a small light blue purse.

All I could think was “Look over here. Over here, dammit. Right at me.”

After ten minutes of her just standing there, not looking over at me, I gave up. I put down my beer and left Vince there. I couldn't wait any longer. I had to know her.

<3 nbsp="" p="">

No comments:

Post a Comment