Monday, July 29, 2013

I'm Excited!

I've been working on something old lately and I'm excited about it. I just had to share a bit of the beginning. I'm really excited about this. It's about ten pages long so far and I like where it's going. I hope to turn it into a novella. I don't think I'll be able to make it quite long enough to be a full length novel but I'm going to try.

Enjoy :D


My name is Silence Amelia Bowie, and I am an elementalist. I am seventeen years old with abilities beyond your wildest dreams. I can manipulate water like it's a part of me. Water anywhere on earth can be controlled by me and my hands. Along with that, I can also manipulate the air because of the water in the atmosphere. Not many people like me are dual-elemental, but I never said I wasn't special. These abilities that I possess have made me bitter over the years.

When I was thirteen, almost finished with my training, I accidentally killed a woman named Becky Daniels. She was my trainer, my mentor, and my friend. She was giving me my final test before being admitted into the Society, and I passed a little too well.

She told me to consume as much power as I could and defeat her in combative battle. So I lifted her off the ground with the humidity in the air and engulfed her in a giant globe of water, drowning her by accident. When I finally saw what was happening, it was too late. She was gone.

Becky Daniels wasn't the only person I've hurt with my magic. When I was very, very young, probably about eight or nine, I was on our trampoline with my brother, Damion. I saw that he was too close to the edge and, wanting to play the hero, I swooped him up in the air and accidentally dropped him from ten feet. He broke his arm and damaged his collarbone. And it was my fault.

Since then I was very careful with my powers and made sure not to abuse them. That's why when Becky told me to give her all that I had, I lost control. I hadn't used that much power in so long. I was traumatized at thirteen.

I was still admitted into the Society, where my father was mayor, but I was on serious probation for five years. I couldn't lose control again. So they had a full elementalist follow me around and make sure I stayed out of trouble.

There are only a handful of elementalists that could wield more than one of the four elements. As far as I know, there are only about three or four full elementalists (those that can control all of the elements) in existence. And the most annoying of them all, Pepper Andrews, was assigned to babysit me.

It's embarrassing walking around the Society with a body guard. Everyone knows who I am regardless, so it's even worse that I have a walking advertisement for the fact that I lost control and got in trouble.

The Society is the place where we all live. Those of us that have abilities beyond average hide away in a secret city that my parents run. My father, Galen Bowie, can control fire. With the snap of his fingers, a village could burst into flames. Of course, my father was a very calm and collected man, so he would never do that. But he could if he needed to. My mother had a deep relationship with plants and nature and could make them grow right out from under her feet. She was obsessed with having a garden and we always had fresh vegetables and fruits at our disposal.

I was the youngest of three. Damion was the oldest, a speedster. He was wicked fast and could go faster than the speed of sound. My sister, Sarah, was a healer. She couldn't die even if she tried. Her body regenerates back to normal after enduring almost anything. She's been hit by trains, fallen off of thirty story buildings, and buried alive and doesn't have a scratch on her.

You can imagine my father's excitement when it was discovered that I was dual-elemental, because he wanted to train me. To his disappointment, I turned out to be water and air, the former being the one thing that diminished fire the fastest. So he hired Becky to teach me all I needed to know.

Our little city can be accessed through portals, if you have the right key. Dimensions can be unlocked in mid air if you have the right key, which isn't necessarily an actual key. It could be anything easily concealed, really.

My whole world could be easily collapsed with the emergence of one dark man. This man, called Dakota Goddard, was dangerous. He had the power to absorb the abilities of others. All he has to do is touch someone with a power and he can use it, along with as many others as he's collected. Goddard has a mission to overthrow the Society and turn us into his own little puppet army to fight against other dimensions.

My father used to lead an army with Goddard as his second in command. Goddard got greedy and tried to turn my father into a dark man like him. Father wouldn't let him, though. He banished him from the Society and told him that he'd be executed should he return.
 
<3>

No comments:

Post a Comment