Tuesday, July 30, 2013

My Creative Process

If you read my little snippet of The Society, first of all, thank you :) I got a lot of positive feedback. I appreciate it. And second of all, it's now 19 pages long, almost 20. I'm really proud of it so far.

There's only one problem. I keep trying to write it in the present tense instead of past tense. So half of it is in present tense. And it's confusing. But I have to stop myself from going in and editing it. I love editing my own work, because I can laugh at myself and fix things and make them better. I can't do it in the middle of the project though. I always do that and never end up finishing because I spend so much time editing!

I'm just so proud of myself for writing almost 20 pages of a novella that I started three days ago. Well, I started it about four years ago but that version sucks. So I started the GOOD version three days ago. I've written the equivalent of half of the original in the span of three days. That's pretty damn impressive, if I do say so myself.

I don't think I have ever shared with anyone how OCD I am about the way I write. I have a very intense creative process.

To start, I have to be on my bed. I cannot write anywhere else in the house. Sometimes I bring my laptop downstairs and sit on the couch and try to write, but mostly I just get rubbish. I have to be sitting on my bed.

The position depends on what exactly it is that I'm writing. If I'm writing something suspenseful or really important, I sit criss-cross with my laptop in front of me on the bed.

If I'm writing something romantic, I am usually laying on my stomach with my feet up on my headboard with my laptop on the bed.

If I'm writing descriptions or character development or something like that, I sit with my back against my headboard and my legs straight out, crossed at the ankle with my laptop resting on my legs.

If I'm writing pretty much anything else, I sit the way I'm sitting right now. I currently have three pillow (two regular and a squishy neck pillow) positioned so that I am lounging. I pull my legs up to an angle and my laptop sits on my thighs sort of like a desk and I type at an angle. It's the most comfortable way I write, I find.

Next, I have to have Facebook open. I know, it's the root of all evil. But every once in a while I have to take a break and just scroll a little bit to recharge. Also, I'm usually talking to Jean or someone online anyway.

I also have to have Pinterest open. Depending on what I'm working on, I have a board opened up relating to the particular topic of which I am writing. It helps with inspiration and such. Currently, I have a few fantasy boards open. I love looking for pictures of places that can fit into the scenery. Sometimes I don't even know what I'm looking for until I find it.

For example, I didn't know what Silence looked like until I found a picture of her. I saw this picture and there was absolutely no doubt in my mind that it was her. I've had Silence as a character for over four years and I always just assumed she looked like me when, in fact, she doesn't look a thing like me.

Next, I have to be wearing something comfortable. I can't write in anything that requires me to wear a belt. They're uncomfortable and I don't like them. I typically do most of my writing at night anyway, so I am usually wearing pajamas. Right now I'm wearing my Washington College tee shirt, a sports bra, and boxer shorts. Don't judge me, I'm allowed to be lazy.

A definite MUST for my writing is actually something extremely specific. Every time I write, I listen to Chameleon Circuit's album "Still Got Legs." Don't ask me why, because I have no idea. It's a great album that I obsess over regardless, but I can't listen to anything else while I'm writing.

Lately I've been trying to trade out Chameleon Circuit for "Heroes" on Netflix because that's where I got a lot of my inspiration originally, but I find that I pay more attention to that story line than to my own. Sometimes I can manage it for a little while, but I always go back to Chameleon Circuit.

Next, I have to have a bottle of nail polish next to my bed. This one I can explain. I have this nervous habit of rolling things between my hands. So when I get blocked or frustrated or something, I roll a nail polish bottle between my hands. I don't exactly know why I am this way, but I just am. It helps.

I also have to have lip balm. I hate the feeling of dry lips and I'm usually too lazy to get up and get some off my vanity, so I just keep some next to my bed. That one is a little more general, but it's important to my writing process.

I have to have my phone by me pretty much at all times, but I actually don't like to text when I'm in a deep state of writing. I hate all kinds of notifications. Every time my phone lights up or vibrates or rings, I have this deep need to answer it, whatever it may be. And I don't like pulling away from my writing unless I have to. So if you text me and I say I'm writing, I won't begin to ignore you, just know that I won't be much of a conversationalist.

I can't be hungry or thirsty when I am writing. At all. I'm like the laziest person in the world and I hate getting up for anything unless it's crucial to my life, especially when I'm writing. So I usually like to have eaten a meal before I sit down to write.

I think that's about everything. As you can see, I take this shit pretty seriously. I used to have my laptop plugged in at my desk and I would bring the laptop over to my bed when I needed it, but I've been writing so much lately that I've just brought the cord over beside my bed for convenience.

I forgot what it was like to feel passionate about writing but I love it. I absolutely love this.

As much as I want to finish this novella as quickly as possible, just get it all out there as fast as I can type it, I also want to make it last. I know the feeling will go away once school starts because I'll be focusing on other things. I'm going to the beach on Saturday for a week and I'm expecting the pain of NOT writing to be agonizing. But I think it will be good for me.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to post more of The Society here. What if I really finish it and edit it and it's good? What if I send it off to a publisher and they like it?

But that's just me being optimistic for a change.

Goodnight!

<3 p="">

No comments:

Post a Comment