Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Nightmare Man

I have this reoccurring dream about a man who locks me inside my house and torments me. He plays with me like I'm a doll or a video game character. It's always terrifying and I wake up freaking out. I call him the Nightmare Man because I don't know who it actually is in the dreams and I have half convinced myself that he's like the Dream Lord from Doctor Who.

Today I decided to write out what happened in the dream. It's really rough, but sometimes writing out my dreams helps me get over them faster.

So enjoy, I guess.


Run, run, run. That's what's flying through my mind as I frantically search for a way out of my own house. I pull hard on the backdoor knob and try to unlock it, but with no luck. No tears yet, but I'm sobbing dry heaves, almost like I'm suffocating. I run across the kitchen to the door that leads to the garage. I press the button on the wall and open the garage door, breathing a sigh of relief.

I stumble down the steps and get to the door when it shuts suddenly, making me jump back. Back to the panic. “I'm not letting you out THAT easy,” a deep voice says.

I look up and run back inside before he turns on the car and really suffocates me. I yank on the windows on the first floor and try to unlock them as well. Nothing.

I run up the stairs to the second floor, to my bedroom, where I lock the door and push my chair against the knob. I leap over my bed and try my window. It opens but somehow the jump increases and I'm thirty stories in the air.

I sit on the ground behind my bed and lean up against the wall where my window hung. My hands cover my face but I don't cry. I try to steady my breathing before the man's voice returns. “What? Have you given up my little game?” he calls from outside my bedroom. His voice makes me jump and breathe heavily again.

I've never seen the nightmare man, but he likes to play games with my head. He can control every door and window in the house with just the flick of his finger. He's had me locked up, he's made me grow old in seconds, he's even killed me. But I've never seen his face.

I walk over to the door and, as quietly as possible, I remove the chair and unlock the door. After a few seconds, I burst through and run past him and down the stairs.

I throw myself at the front door and jerk on the locks. When that doesn't work, I grab the stone cat figurine from the living room to my left and thrust it at the locks.

It breaks open and I throw myself outside, running up the street. I seem to be running as fast as my legs can carry me, but I'm not moving any faster than if I was tiptoeing.

At the end of my driveway is my family, laying face down. I turn them over, one by one, when I see that their faces have changed. I gasp and then the tears come. I realize that the man had tricked me.

These people were disguised to resemble my parents and sisters. But when I looked at them now, I saw that they were people I'd never seen before.

I turn back to my house and drop to my knees. Now the tears come. My subconscious just says “open your eyes,” but the man won't let me. He knows as soon as my eyes open, he will disappear and be stuck until the next night. He keeps my real eyes sewn shut tight.

I try as hard as I can. “You're not getting rid of me that easily,” he yells from inside the house.

Suddenly I'm sitting up in bed, crying, screaming, and breathing hard. I lay back down, trembling, as I remember the nightmare man, just as I do after every bad dream.

I stay under my covers, shivering with my eyes wide open, scared to fall back asleep. I look at the clock and see that it reads “7:00 AM.” I breathe a heavy sigh and try to calm down.

The telephone rings and I jump out of my skin.

They say sleep is nice because everything just goes away for a little while, but everything comes back to me when I shut my eyes.

<3 p="">

No comments:

Post a Comment