Saturday, September 7, 2013

Humans.

I wasn't originally going to post this. I was just going to rant to myself in a random Open Office document, but I decided to throw it on here as well.

What bothers me the most is how none of us can respect another's interests and knowledge. Not naming names, but I know plenty of people who are not writers and think that they can judge me and argue with me about the basis of writing when, in fact, they know absolutely nothing about the topic.

There's a difference between technical writing and creative writing. One sucks, and one doesn't. The process of writing creatively (as seen in a previous post of mine entitled "My Creative Process") varies depending on the person. And it frustrates me when people tell me that I'm doing it wrong.

I'm not doing anything wrong. I'm doing it my way. You don't see me criticizing the way you play football or nurse a sick patient back to health, so don't criticize the way that I create things.

Why can't you just trust that I know what I'm talking about? It just drives me so crazy when people tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about.

On multiple occasions, I have been told by someone who is NOT a writer, that writing is such a tedious task and there's so many technicalities that go into it and that I have to study to write and I can't just spew it out on paper.

Uh, yeah I can.

I don't need to study how to tell a story. Yeah, my creative writing classes that I've taken over the years have been really helpful in giving me good ideas for stories, but I don't think they've made me any better a writer. I matured by myself.

My writing has matured over the years and, yeah, I'll admit that some of my best stuff was written in class, but it was merely a coincidence. I seriously haven't learned anything in a single creative writing class. My voice is the same, just more mature now that I am older.

You can't study how to write. If you're born to write, you're born to write. It's story telling, just more detailed and typed out instead of spoken aloud.

I'm just really angry about this right now. I'm sorry to rant it but I really needed to.

And don't misinterpret this. This topic goes with any number of passions, whether it be acting or dancing or tight roping walking: Don't let anyone tell you that what YOU love doing is wrong or that you're doing it wrong. You're doing what's best for YOU and THAT'S what's important.

Fun fact, here's another thing that bothers me; The fact that Pumpkin Spice Latte's are actually orange. It just... *shivers*

Thank you for listening to me ramble about what I'm passionate about. I'm sorry if it was a bit incoherent, but seeing as I haven't slept in the last month, give me the benefit of the doubt.

<3 p="">

No comments:

Post a Comment