Thursday, September 12, 2013

The Great Gatsby, The Fault in Our Stars, and License

Three very big things have happened to me over the course of the last few days.

1) I purchased and watched The Great Gatsby (with Tobey Maguire and Leonardo DiCaprio). It was truly a work of art and I was impressed by both the cinematography and the soundtrack. I had heard that the music was going to be modern while the rest of the movie was historically accurate, and I was a bit skeptical at first.

After seeing it through just once, though, I loved it. I thought it all worked together very pleasantly and I was very surprised. I thought it was a very interesting take on a classic American novel. It's definitely one of my favorite books ever and I even want to watch the movie again, and I would if it weren't over two hours in length.

2) I picked up "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green from the library the other day and I finished it in less than two days. It was absolutely magnificent and I couldn't have asked for anything better to come from one of my favorite YouTubers.

However, as much as I enjoyed it, I felt that the storyline was a bit predictable. Maybe that's just me, but I was able to figure out ahead of time what was going to happen. There were a few surprises, which were very nice (and tragic in some cases) but for the most part it was very predictable.

Don't NOT read it though. It's a really really good book with love and humor and tragedy all wrapped up into 300-odd pages.

3) And finally, I obtained my provisional license today! If you know me personally, you already know that I, unfortunately, failed my drivers test the first time I took it back in August. I ran out of time on the parallel park and cried quite a bit.

Today, however, I completed the closed course as well as the real road course with perfection and awesomeness. Not to toot my own horn or whatever, but TOOT FREAKING TOOT. I don't think I've ever been more proud of myself than I was today when I pulled back into the parking lot of the DMV and ran over to my dad to hug him.

My driving instructor-person was very monotone and made me rather nervous. I was shaking quite a bit and all she kept saying was "do this" and "do that" in a boring voice that made me uncomfortable. Even when she said I had passed and congratulated me, she didn't crack a smile. It doesn't really matter though because I got my LICENSE!!!

And so, that's been my Tuesday-Thursday of this week. Pretty much, anyway. I worked on Wednesday evening with Heather and it was nice. We got out a bit late though because we had some trouble with the register but no worries! We figured it out.

Now I'm off to study for a sociology exam. Very displeasing after such an exciting day. Sigh.

<3 p="">

No comments:

Post a Comment